Labels

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Flower Pillow Tutorial

This is a fun project!  My sister's birthday is this month, and I wanted to do something fun for her.  I saw this tutorial back in the Fall, and have been saving it for this occasion.

Before we begin, I have two disclaimers.
1.  I am not a perfectionist and I don't follow patterns.
2.  I have never sewn anything but straight lines until now.

Therefore, you, too, can make this pillow!

Supplies:
Fabric  - a little over 1/2 yard {I couldn't decide between the polka dots and the suiting, so both are pictured}
Felt - not the craft sheets, but the stuff on the bolt.  Between 1/4 and 1/2 yards, depending on how big your flower is
Large and small cups {small one around 2 1/2 inches and the large one around 3 1/2 inches - it doesn't need to be precise}
Scissors
Plate or bowl the size you want your flower
Sharpie/Marking pencil
Sewing Machine {not pictured}
Pillow form




1.  Trace your circles onto the felt and cut around 35 large and 25 small circles.  I was able to cut two at a time and then finess my cuts.


2.  Cut your circles in half. 


3.  Now, I am going to horrify my mom, but cut your fabric in one piece the width of your pillow form plus one inch, and the length of at least four inches longer than your pillow form.  Translation:  My pillow is 12x12", so my fabric was 13x18" to allow for overlapping so that I can stuff the pillow form in without it showing.

{I like the picture above because I have my coffee, which I almost listed in the supplies
category, and my awesome socked feet.  Domestic goddess am I.}

4.  Trace your plate {shown above}.  I used a hi-lighter, but you can use anything.  It won't show.

5.  Here's the fun part.  Take your half circles and fabric and head to the sewing machine.  If you absolutely loath sewing, you could {gasp} use hot glue.

Notice how my mom numbered my sewing machine so I could thread it.  She knows my failings well.

6.  Place a larger felt piece on the circle and gradually work your way around, adding the next piece as you go.  I found it helps to place the next piece slightly under the corner of the one in front, the opposite of what you see here.  I learned as I went.



7.  When you get to the end of your circle, start moving inward.  You could start bunching them a bit as I did so they raise up from the pillow, but it isn't necessary.


It will start to take form pretty quickly.



8.  At some point {your discretion} you will want to move to the smaller circles.  Keep going until you get to the middle and hand stitch a center circle.  You could put a pretty button or some seed beads there.  I might do that on my next one.  Hmmmm.  When you are done, it should look like this.


9.  Fold over the short sides twice and sew a neat seam.  One of these will be seen from the back, so you want it to look good.  You could use hem tape if you want, but it won't be quite as strong. 


10.  Fold over the ends until you have a square 1 inch bigger than your pillow form {13x13" in my case}.  This makes your pillow "inside out," so your flower should be on the inside.


11.  Sew the edges, allowing for 1/2" seam allowance.  Yes, Mom, I said seam allowance.  You're rubbing off.  Turn right side out and stick your pillow form in.  You have yourself a pretty pillow.

Photography is another talent I don't have.  Hopefully you can see it well enough.

Enjoy your new pillow!


No comments:

Post a Comment