Labels

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Chocolate sauce recipe

I confess, though I adore chocolate in most forms, I do not like chocolate pudding or ice cream much, and I really don't like Hershey's syrup.  I would like to think I'm an extravagant purist.  If I am going to put a chocolate sauce on my ice cream, I want it to taste like liquid fudge.

So this is a funny recipe for me to post, because it tastes pretty much like, but better than, Hershey's syrup.  I like it because I like to treat my kids to chocolate milk sometimes, but commercial brands typically have a long list of ingredients I can't pronounce.  This recipe has four ingredients most homes are pretty much guaranteed to have at all times.

Chocolate Sauce

2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder {dutch processed is best, but any will work}
1 cup milk {water will work if you don't have milk or won't use the sauce up quickly}
1 2/3 cup white sugar
1 t. vanilla extract

Simply pour everything but the vanilla into a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Stir while boiling for one minute or so, and then take off heat.  Stir in vanilla.  Let it cool, and put it into a container to keep in the fridge.

** This stays liquid in the fridge, but thickens a bit.  If the syrup is too thick for your taste, you may want to add another 1/4 cup milk or water to your mixture the next time.


I see many chocolate milk mustaches in your future!

No comments:

Post a Comment