Labels

Thursday, June 16, 2011

My sis, the sculptor

I will start this by saying my sister has no idea I'm doing this and will probably be horrified by my photography, um, skills {?}, but as I was working on another post, I realized how many pictures I have taken that include pieces that she has made, but haven't spoken about them. 

My sister and her husband are both artists.  He is a painter, and she is a sculptor.  Both are unbelievably talented.  Their work often brings tears to my eyes, because the passion behind it is so clear and the technique is outstanding.  I don't have any of my brother-in-law's work here, because he's busy framing some amazing portraits he did of us. I'll definitely post about those when we get them back.

If you know me, you know that I can't draw a straight stick man.  The artistic genes were bestowed on my brother and sister, but missed me completely.  Don't worry.  I'm over it.  I have no self-esteem and have eleven disorders because of it, but I'm fine.  It doesn't bother me that when I draw animals they look so much alike that I have to label which one is a dog and which is a fish, and that I can't always tell if Ella or I made whatever playdoh figure is in front of me.  Nope, I've come to terms with it.  My therapist says I'm making great strides.  Besides, it's a wonderful thing to have an artist or two in the family.  Especially around Christmas or my birthday {imagine me with a very toothy grin here}.

Back to my sister. These pieces are just the ones that I have around my house.  My photo skills are lacking, but the beauty of her work is unmistakable.  This first sculpture is of the parable of the Prodical Son.  This is the son returning to his father's protection.




This is a charcoal drawing of a baby.  Not one of mine.  Just a baby.  It's funny how many people say, "It looks just like Ella!" 


This was done when Handsome Hero and I got engaged.  We made it into our wedding program cover.  It was wonderful to have something so unique and personal. 

Why, hello, my arm! Peekaboo!

This is Ella when she was a year.  It's a pencil drawing.


This is my favorite piece.  This is my grandfather, who passed away in September.  This rendering looks exactly like him.


She made a mold of it and gave one to each of us for Christmas. Not a dry eye in the room, let me tell you.


Oh, and lest you feel sorry for me, here are my scupltures.  They took me nine months each to make.  Whew!  That was hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment