Labels

Monday, April 9, 2012

Resurrection Day

I hope you all had a happy Resurrection Day {which is a better name for Easter for those who love my Lord}!  We celebrate Resurrection Day with such joy, for our Lord rose from the grave after conquering sin by becoming the ultimate perfect Sacrifice!!  For those of you who know my Lord as your personal Saviour, you will be rejoicing with me.  For those who don't, I probably sound totally loopy, and I'm okay with that.  Loopy looks good on me.

We celebrated with our friends, the Martin's, with whom we have celebrated the last two Thanksgivings and last Easter.  These next two pictures are from last year because though I fully documented the table setting {yep, you heard me} I did not take one single picture of our friends.


I was a little horrified to realize this.  But they will forgive me because they are awesome.  These girls cooked, washed, took care of the kids, and were, in a word, fabulous.  Or in two words, utterly stupendous.  Or in three words, incredibly easy guests.  Or in four words....


They filled some Easter eggs and hid them for the kids.  Ella knew just what to do and was waiting outside with two bags, itching to get started.


Jack didn't quite get it at first.


He just set his bag beside the first egg.  Is this what I do, Mom?


Eventually, with some prodding, he got into it.



Ella, who had done it before, ran around like a whirlwind, and I couldn't get a single shot of her finding an egg.

 
During our hunt, we found a real nest with an egg.  The kids are so excited!


This was a success, I'd say.


I have a feeling next year we'll have two runners.  Jack was pretty into it by the end.


After the hunt it was time for dinner.  I really enjoyed putting the table together this year.  I combined a mix of heirloom pieces with some Goodwill finds and wedding gifts, and loved the result! 

Most people my age have a set of dishes, but, unless they came from the South as I did, they rarely have fine china.  I am blessed to have more than one set of fine china.  In fact, I have five sets in addition to our everyday dishes.  I don't use them as much as I should, because mostly when we have people over it's pretty casual, but since I do not like to have things I don't use, I'm going to make more of an effort.  What's the point of having things if they aren't being put to use? 

I realize I should have ironed the tablecloth, but I HATE ironing, and I didn't realize how wrinkled it looked until I started posting the pictures.  Sorry, Mom.  You really did train me better.

We used our wedding china with silver chargers.  Then we added crystal stemware and silver candlesticks that had belonged to my grandmother, who has decided to enjoy seeing her children and grandchildren love her beautiful things rather than wait to pass them on.  I think this is pretty wise.  Smart lady, my grandmother. 

Another addition to the table from her are the little egg baskets that are actually place card holders.  Those were a hit.  One of the girls with lovely penmanship wrote out our name tags {my handwriting is messy at best}.  I had some miniature butter dishes that my mom gave me a few years ago, so we put one at each end, and finished off the table with large pink flowers in bud vases from Goodwill.  I realize that there isn't much height, but I hate not being able to see everyone.

I should have taken some close-ups so that you could see how beautiful the individual pieces are, but didn't think about it until I was reviewing my pictures.


We served on the buffet.  There were green beans, asparagus, sauteed carrots, curried fruit, and mashed potatoes.


The bread and meat were served on the table.  It was a feast! 

Jack didn't get a charger because I didn't want him to use it as a plate..

We finished everything off with a meringue style dessert, but I was so stuffed by then I forgot to take a picture.  It's no big loss because it was UGLY.  Delicious, but ugly.

It was delightful, as always, to enjoy this holiday with our friends.  We are blessed indeed.

Do you like to know how people celebrate their feasts?  I love seeing how the tables were set, seeing how and what was served, how formal it was, how pretty the food was.  It's eye candy to me. 

Maybe it's that loopy thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment