Labels

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Misunderstandings of a four-year-old



If you are a parent, you have heard about 7,893 times that "it goes so fast."  "You blink and they're all grown up."  "Enjoy the little years.  You never get them back."   I used to get headaches trying to keep my eyes from rolling back in my head each time I heard that, but now I choose to view it as a gentle reminder.  If 7,893 people have all said it, and a grand total of zero have ever said that it goes by slowly, then, scientifically, I hypothesize that it must be true.

That being said, I often don't appreciate how awesome it is to have little ones.  I get caught up with the discipline and the training and the schedule, and lose sight of the great memories, wonderful firsts, and funny moments.  Their little minds work in such fantastic ways as they grow into their own, individual little selves.  I don't want to forget this precious time I have been given. 

That is the main reason I started this blog.  Writing down the things that make life so fun helps me to keep my perspective.  It reminds me how great a blessing I have been given in each member of my family.  It also enables me to look past the child currently wailing in the room next door because he didn't get his way.

Here are a few four-year-old misunderstandings that all happened within a couple of hours this weekend.

As I wrote earlier, Handsome Hero ran a half-marathon this weekend.  On the way down to the race, the wonderkids and I picked up a friend, Natalie.  Natalie asked Ella if she trained with her daddy, and Ella said, "Well, I trained to use the potty, and now I go really well."  It's true.  She does go very well. 


Then on the way back from the race, Handsome Hero was rubbing his calves and saying they were sore.  Very concerned, Ella said, "You have sore calves?  Oh, Daddy, does that mean you have cavities?"


We celebrated his run with a trip to Five Guys Burgers.  On the way, we heard Ella explaining to her stuffed cat, George, that "we were going to see six men eat burgers." Five guys plus daddy, perhaps?  I don't know.


And that's the point, isn't it?  I don't know what goes on in that little brain, but I love what comes out of that little mouth! 

I know exactly what goes on in Jack's brain.  He's philisophical.  Which came first; the hammer or the nail?


However, with both of them, I need to learn to enjoy the moment and make the days count, because childhood is fleeting.  I know it is, because 7, 893 people have told me so, and I believe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment