Labels

Monday, May 16, 2011

Fabric as Eye Candy

I have been chomping at the bit waiting patiently for months for this.  I have evaluated, measured, imagined possibilities, and dreamed, and now I'm ready to begin. 

What am I talking about?  Fabric, of course!  I love to browse through fabric stores and imagine what I could do with the eye candy around me.  Just a titch crazy coming from someone who hardly sews, but my mental prowess is not the subject at hand.

We finally took the plunge during a recent sale at Hancocks {that I think is still going on, if you're interested} and got several beautiful home decor and upholstery fabrics for different projects around the house. 


Aren't they pretty?  I looked around that store for three hours and only got four fabrics.  I don't know if it is this hard to choose fabric for clothing, but I wouldn't think so.  Upholstery and drapery have a huge effect on a room, and will hopefully be loved several years down the road, so it's a big decision. 

I have several more projects that need fabric, but only bought what I absolutely loved.  There was a plethora of amazing fabrics, but they either didn't fit the space well or didn't coordinate with other fabrics I liked.


This yellow chevron strip and gray are going to be the upholstery of a chair.


This floral and the same gray are going to be the upholstery of a bench.


This black and white geometric print is going to be curtains.


Want to know something funny?  This is the other reason picking fabric was difficult.

The first thing everyone wants to do in a new house is paint.  They can see those colors on the wall.  My advice to anyone in this position is GET YOUR CURTAINS OR CURTAIN FABRIC FIRST!  You can always match paint to your fabrics, but it is much harder to match your fabric to your paint.  I found this out the hard way in our Washington house and swore to never do that again.  Well, guess what I did?  We painted every room in this house before I chose curtains/fabric.  {sigh}  You know what's worse?  I didn't even realize it until I spent three hours trying to make the fabric go with my walls. {deeper sigh}

2 comments:

  1. BETH! That is the yellow and white chevron I want for my outdoor chairs! Love it! Will have to go down there tomorrow morning and see if I can find some. Nice choices! They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! That chevron and the black white was what enticed me to go there in the first place. I think it's so funny that our tastes differ so much yet have a wide common ground!

    ReplyDelete