Labels

Thursday, February 16, 2012

So, this is how the pregnancy is really going

I like to keep the blog light and fun for the most part, but you know, sometimes when you're going through a rough time, you need to keep it real.  A few weeks ago, I was all ready with this post that started out with, "This is the easiest pregnancy I've ever had."  That was so three weeks ago.

Since that time, we've had a rash of sickness in our house.  An ear infection, two cases of pink eye, fevers of 104, coughing all night, and much vomiting.  We're still not totally done with being sick, but we're so much better. 

However, all the sickness kick-started some pregnancy complications.  I had some painful vein issues with Jack's pregnancy, and they have come back with a vengeance.  How bad is it?  Well, sometimes it's not really a problem, and sometimes I can hardly walk because of the pain.  I can no longer pick up my kids unless absolutely necessary or carry the laundry upstairs or vacuum.  Wait, are those last two bad?

Worse than that are the headaches.  Well, the headache.  I have been unable to kick this headache for thirteen days now.  I am not exaggerating to say that it borders on unbearable for much of the day.  Medication doesn't seem to touch it and sleep makes it worse. 

So there you have it.  Now, let me tell you before you get all awwwww, poor baby on me, it's not all bad.  I got some stronger medication today, which will hopefully work.  I'll let you know.  I'll either be doing a jig or crying.

A long time ago I started to memorize the book of James.  There are times I think I should have picked something else, like Numbers or Leviticus, so that I wouldn't feel so convicted.  Anyway, in the beginning of James, the emphasis is on trials.  We all have them, though we don't always recognize them.  Trials are struggles that are hard for us to endure.  That's why we are told to consider them joy, a.k.a. find the good in them.  It is truly amazing how your perspective on a situation can change when you recognize the blessings you would never have had without that trial.

So, obviously, I'm going through a trial.  A painful one, dadgum it.  However, because of this trial, I have been truly humbled to see Handsome Hero's care of us.  I am in awe of his selfless and joyful devotion.  I know he loves us, but seeing this level of care has brought me to tears more than once {what?  I cry a lot right now.  I'm pregnant}.  Because of this trial, I have also had the opportunity to see my church in action.  Friends calling, coming over to help, offering to take the kids or bring food have become a daily occurrence.  Sometimes just having the offer makes it possible to make it through the day. 

Because of this trial, my mom is going to be here in an hour to take care of us for a week.  I promise I wasn't trying to be manipulative, but yesterday, being an awesome mom, she told me to expect her today.  And I cried.  Which made my headache worse.  Man, I'm glad she's coming.

I am going to be a bit sporadic with the blog until this headache is on the mend.  I would appreciate your prayers as I deal with both that and the veins.  My hope in posting this is both to inform, but also to encourage.  I know that many of you are going through something, a trial of some sort, and learning to consider it joy is a life-changing tool.  Truly, life changing.

1 comment:

  1. You know you're continually in our prayers. And makes me really wish I lived in appleton. I know you know we are here if you need
    anything. You're mom is great, I'm glad she is coming. Continuing to pray. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete