Labels

Monday, September 5, 2011

Little Stinker

My parents have told me that when we were younger and got in trouble, sometimes it was actually pretty funny.  They would sometimes have to hold in their laughter until we were out of the room.  Naturally, I don't believe this.  I'm sure that everything I ever did wrong was punished by very stern and strict parents who never cracked a smile even after we left the room.

The tables have now turned.  Ella sometimes says things that are a bit rude or disrespectful, but they are so funny!  Here are some examples from last week.


1.  Cleanliness

I was asked last minute to come to the church to go over music on Wednesday.  I was just getting ready to go to the gym, so I said I would come by after that.  On the way to the gym, I told Ella that we were going to church for a bit. 

Ella:  You are going to take a shower, aren't you mama?

Me:  No, honey.  We're not going for long, and I'm not going to be around a bunch of people.

Ella:  Mama, I think it would be kind of you to take a shower before you go.

Me:  Kind?

Ella:  Yes, and I think it would be even kinder if you would change into a dress.  And pants.  And a necklace.


2.  Responsibility

Handsome Hero was gracious enough to go to the grocery store Thursday evening with the kids.  Big props to the man of the house {okay, truthfully, he goes more than I do, but this time he had both kids}!  Anyway, he forgot to get eggs.  Not a big deal.  However, eggs are my usual breakfast, so Ella noticed when I wasn't eating them.

Ella:  Mama, why aren't you eating eggs?

Me:  Well, you guys forgot them when you were at the store last night and we are out.

Ella:  So there aren't any eggs because we forgot them?

Me:  Right.

Ella:  No, mama, that's not right.  There aren't any eggs because you ate them all!


What a stinker. 

Frankly, we're not always sure what requires discipline and what is just an observation or expression of her opinion {though it may not be worded in the best way}.  We've entered those murky waters where we are dealing with the heart and not just actions.  So, we will do our best, pray for wisdom, and laugh our heads off.  After she's left the room. 

Hmmm.  I wonder where I learned that one?



No comments:

Post a Comment