Labels

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pillow talk

I love slipcovered pillows.  They are right at my ability level {straight lines and not much math}, and I can change them out for little cost.  I like bold pillows because they're so small.

I have a collection of fabrics waiting patiently to be made into pillows.  When I am in a fabric store, I always check out the remnant fabrics.  They are nearly always at least fifty percent off and you can get some beautiful material that you wouldn't otherwise have been able to afford.  I heard someone {probably from HGTV or something} say that if you love a fabric, buy a little and you will find a use for it.  I don't always do this, but you have to think that if you love something, it makes sense that it would work in your home in some capacity. 

Back to pillows.  Eventually I would love to find pillow forms that are super soft, down or something.  I will probably eventually follow this tutorial on how to make them myself.  For now, though, my not-so-squishy pillow forms are fine.  I was getting tired of trying to make the slipcovers from our old house work in our new house, though, so I retired the old ones and started in on my fabric stash, making new pillows to fit my space.  I've finished two of them.

This first one is a crazy giraffe print I found in the remnant section at Hancocks.  There was only half a yard left so it was very cheap. 

Oh, and, yet again, I apologize for my horrible pictures.  I have in no way mastered lighting.  Some of these are with flash and some without, and I have no idea where to go from there.


I love the quirky craziness of this one. The kids use it as a roadmap for their cars.

   

 The second pillow is in the master bedroom.  The material is a subtle gray herringbone. 


I decided it needed some oomph, so I added some ribbon from the lampshades on the nightstands.  And, yes, that is toilet paper on my night stand.  Is there a problem?


At some point, I will reupholster this chair.  For now, though, the pillow lives here.


I have three more pillow forms from which to make pillows, but I want them to have personality - read:  they will take more time and planning and actual thought, so I don't know when they will be completed.  You know I'll show them to you when I finish them, though!

2 comments:

  1. I really like them both! Great work! You should do another ruffle pillow. Those are my fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like your poppy painting above your bed. poppies are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete