Labels

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Welcome Home, Daddy!

When we first moved here and having Handsome Hero travel was novel and harder than it is now, we began a couple of small traditions to help the kids cope.  First, the kids and I would always make him a big "WELCOME HOME!" sign. 

Second, Handsome Hero would always bring them a book when he came home.  We thought that toys were not such a wise option, but that a new book would be a great way to build their library and give them something to look forward to.  We even bought books in advance and stuck them in his suitcase once he got home so that he didn't have to worry about finding them while he was gone.  He was usually as surprised as the kids by which book they got.

The book thing lasted for a few months, until it became apparent that he was going to be traveling far more than we had thought.  We decided they didn't need a new book every couple of weeks.

The sign thing lasted longer, and we still do it, but it is more sporadic.  There is good and bad to this, but these trips are often kind of old hat by now.  Now, after five days away, I'm likely to say, "Hey, Honey, I'm so glad you landed on time.  Can you pick up some milk on your way home?"

Last week, when Handsome Hero was out of town, the kids were coloring, and I had an idea.

Get ready for it, folks.  This is the only time you will ever see my naked belly. 

I hope.  Man, I do hope.







Then we went outside to play while we waited for him to come home. When he drove in, this is what he got.



They actually remembered to show their signs before doing this. 



And, yes, I showed him mine, but really fast, and then hoped that no neighbors had seen.

Welcome Home, Daddy!

Photo credits:  Elizabeth Ratzlaff

5 comments:

  1. That is sooo funny!! I am shocked and rather amused at you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love a pregnant belly - super cute idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet - I'm sure this small thing that took a very short amount of time to prepare will stay with your entire family for years to come (the family on this side of your belly that is!)

    ReplyDelete