When we first moved into this house, my mom made these curtains for the living room. I love them. They're subtle but with a graphic design.
Originally, I had thought I would want roman shades for all the windows and bought material accordingly, but when we had lived in the space a bit, I decided the windows needed more presence to balance the orange wall. Hence the heavy drapes.
I didn't put anything on the orange wall at first, thinking it would be overpowering. The longer we have lived here, though, those windows have seemed to need something. The other window is so heavily draped that these feel naked.
I had enough material left over to make some valances, but I don't really like most valances. Faux roman shades were much more appealing, but I didn't know how to attach them to the blinds, which were staying. I sat on this, stumped, for about a year until I recently saw something brilliant. Genius, I tell you.
Ta Daaah! I am so pleased with the result!! They sit inside the windowframes, which is what I wanted. I am so happy with how these turned out.
What's that? You want to know the slap-your-forehead-because-you-didn't-think-of-it-first explanation? Check it out, friends.
That's right! Velcro! I'd been thinking through all sorts of convoluted fixes when it was essentially a duct tape-type of solution. I thank whoever came up with this from the bottom of my faux-roman-shade lovin' heart.
It couldn't been easier and I'm so glad to have it done!
I didn't do a tutorial on how to make these because I don't think I could replicate it if I tried and I'm sure there are much better ways to make them. I didn't follow any sort of directions myself, but I'm sure there are myriads of sites out there showing how to make faux roman shades. I can give you the last step, though.
Once you have made your shade, slap up the velcro and stick 'er on!
That was the technical version.