Monday, October 14, 2013

Oh, what a night!

We've had one of those weeks.  Handsome Hero had a major project going on at work and logged over 100 hours {at times like this I wish he was hourly!} and the kids and I headed down to mom and dad's on Wednesday to make it easier on all involved.  We had a great time even though Nate and I both got sick. 

Yesterday, I was feeling pretty puny.  Mom and dad took the older kids to church with them while Nate and I bonded over our puniness.  After lunch we drove the 1 1/2 hours home.  When we got home, I had reached that point {moms, you'll get this} where I just needed to keep going so that I could make it through the evening.  If I stopped to rest, I wasn't going to get back up.  And because Handsome Hero was still at work, I had no choice.  So I put everything away and started straightening up the house. 

After dinner, I put the boys in the bath downstairs.  I forgot towels, but they were already in the water, so I ran as fast as I could to get them.  When I got to the top of the stairs, Ella said, "Hey, mom, look!  I pulled out my loose tooth!" 

I congratulated her, but had to run back downstairs to check on the boys.  As soon as I got down, the doorbell rang.  I called to Ella to come stay with the boys and went to the door.  It was my neighbor inviting us to a pumpkin carving.  Very fun, except that in less than thirty seconds, screaming ensued from downstairs.  Jack was yelling, "Mom!!!  There's a bug in the tub!!!!!"

I excused myself, closed the door, went downstairs, and there was Jack, soaking and buck naked, running around screaming, "It's a bug!  It's a bug!"  Ella was saying, "There IS!  There IS a bug!"  and Nate didn't care one way or the other.

This. bug.  It was big.  It was over three inches long.  I couldn't believe it.  Where was Handsome Hero when I needed him??  I do not do bugs over half an inch, thank you very much.  But there it was. 

I put on my big girl pants, grabbed a cup that was sitting on the sink, scooped up the monster and flushed it down the toilet.  Problem solved, right?
No.  Ella started screaming at that point.  What is it with my kids and screaming?  I was about to get on to her when she said, "My tooth!!!  You flushed my tooth!  I put my tooth in that cup to keep it safe!!"

You have got to be kidding.

I was busy apologizing all over the place when I noticed something in the tub.  Her tooth must have fallen out right before I scooped up the dinosaur bug.  I reached in and got it.  I was now a hero.  Crisis averted.

Well, that crisis anyway.

I washed and put Nate to bed, leaving Jack to play in the tub for a minute.  I was on my way back downstairs when Ella started screaming again.  It is so hard to be sympathetic when they're screaming.  I found her in the kitchen, her hands covered in blood.  I thought it was from her tooth, but no.  She had hit her head on the corner of the desk and her hair was matted in blood.

I made sure it wasn't a huge wound {it wasn't}, was properly sympathetic, put her on the couch with an ice pack, and ran downstairs to take care of a very pruny Jack.  I gave him his clothes and told him to get dressed while I went back up to Ella.

I washed her hair salon-style, while my three-year-old streaked around, still with no clothes on, pretending to be a Robin Hood/soldier/warrior. 

Finally, all were clean, all were dressed, all were in bed.  I may have forgotten to brush their teeth, but teeth are highly overrated anyway.

Oh, what a night.

1 comment:

  1. Let's just say I can totally relate, friend. SOLIDARITY! You rocked a CRRRRRAAAAAZY night (fist bumps all over the place!).